Trump threatens ex-intel official's clearance, citing comments on CNN

Source: source | August 20, 2018 | Brett Samuels

President Trump on Monday suggested he may pull the security clearance of former FBI official Phil Mudd after Mudd appeared on a heated CNN segment over the weekend to push back against the president’s revocation of clearances from other members of the intelligence community

Trump tweeted that he watched Mudd “become totally unglued and weird” during a debate with CNN analyst Paris Dennard on the president’s decision to revoke ex-CIA Director John Brennan’s security clearance.

“Mudd is in no mental condition to have such a Clearance,” Trump said. “Should be REVOKED?”

……

In the segment, Dennard agreed with Trump’s decision to revoke Brennan’s security clearance, and argued former intelligence officials keep their clearances “because it’s profitable for them after they leave government.”

“Profitable, Paris?” Mudd responded. “When I am requested to sit on an advisory board, let me ask you one question. How much do you think I’m paid to do that at the request of the US government?” 

“Answer the question,” he shouted.

Mudd, who worked under then-FBI Director Robert Mueller and spent three decades in the CIA and FBI, asserted he is not paid by the government when he provides consulting work, and that he does not use his clearance for work in the private sector.

The two men continued to shout over each other, with Mudd growing more upset.

“We’re done, Jim,” Mudd said. “Get out. 25 years in the service and this is the shit I get? Get out.” 

…….

Dozens of ex-intelligence officials, including Mudd, have expressed support for Brennan in recent days and condemned Trump’s decision to revoke his clearance.

Michael Hayden, a former CIA director whose clearance Trump said he’s reviewing, responded to Trump’s tweet on Monday night calling Mudd a “hero” and a “counter terrorism giant.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #25206

Consistent #25207

Consistent #25208

Consistent #25209

Consistent #25215

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.