Trump files lawsuit against Facebook, Twitter and Google

Source: The Hill | July 7, 2021 | Rebecca Klar

Former President Trump is leading a class-action lawsuit against Facebook, Twitter and Google, as well as their CEOs, over allegations of censorship after the companies took action to ban and suspend his accounts.

“Our case will prove this censorship is unlawful, it’s unconstitutional and it’s completely un-American,” Trump said Wednesday from his golf club in Bedminster, N.J.

The legal action comes after the former president was permanently banned from Twitter and suspended from Facebook for at least two years over posts made in response to the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol.

……..

Legal experts who spoke to The Hill described the case as frivolous, predicting that it will almost certainly be dismissed in court because private companies are not subject to comply with the First Amendment, upending the basis of the complaint’s argument. 

“There’s all sorts of issues that you and I may talk about over the years and say, ‘this is a gray area, it could be argued either way’ or  ‘it was pretty clear here but you know you never know.’ In this instance, this is one of those basic principles of constitutional law — private entities don’t have to comply with the Constitution,” Erwin Chemerinsky, dean of Berkeley Law, told The Hill.

The lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court of the Southern District of Florida.

Trump said it will be the first of “numerous” other lawsuits aimed at holding “Big Tech” accountable.

The lawsuit is backed by the America First Policy Institute, a nonprofit focused on promoting the former president’s policies. 

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #49551

Consistent #49552

EVERYDAY #49557

It’s ridiculous nonsense and Trump doesn’t have a leg to stand on. I do find it funny that he’s using the litigation as a fundraising tool, all the while knowing his attorneys in this matter won’t be paid. How is it any reputable law firm would represent him knowing he’s a deadbeat and that his claims are frivolous? I worked for attorneys for 35 years. They never took on a client without a credit check and some kind of agreement regarding fees, sometimes even insisting on a retainer in advance. And a quick review of the law would tell any competent attorney that these claims have no merit. I can see this suit and the attorneys being laughed out of court.

But the gullible cult will continue to give Trump their last dime while he is laughing at the suckers behind their backs.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.