Trump draws bipartisan fire over Brennan

Source: The Hill | August 15, 2018 | Alexander Bolton and Jordain Carney

President Trump drew criticism from both Republicans and Democrats on Wednesday for his decision to revoke former CIA Director John Brennan’s security clearance.

Most Republican and Democratic lawmakers who balked at Trump’s treatment of Brennan argued that former senior intelligence officials can provide useful guidance to current leaders based on their past experiences, and for that reason should keep their clearances as long as they don’t improperly disclose information.

But some Republicans who defended the president said Brennan’s recent behavior has been inappropriate for someone with such clearance.

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said Brennan “has been far too political in his comments” as a recently retired CIA chief but said that Trump went too far. 

“Unless there was some disclosure of classified information of which I’m unaware, I don’t see the grounds for revoking his security clearance,” she said, calling Trump’s decision “unwise.”

Asked if she was worried about the precedent, Collins said, “I think it’s unwise because generally recently retired intelligence officials have a lot to contribute to the analysis that is being done.”

Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) also criticized the move, joining former Secretary of State John Kerry in describing it as a “banana republic” move.

“Without having some kind of tangible reasons for doing so, which there may be that I’m not aware of, I don’t like it at all,” he said. 

“And it just feels like … sort of banana republic kind of thing. But, again, there may be something I don’t know. I don’t like, I don’t like it,” he added. 

But some Republicans defended Trump and even argued that he should have pulled Brennan’s clearance months ago. 

“I’m surprised it didn’t occur earlier,” said Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), who frequently defends the president. “I have no problem with it whatsoever.”

“I think the way he has conducted himself is inappropriate for a former CIA director,” he added. 

……..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #25073

Consistent #25074

Consistent #25075

ConservativeGranny #25076

“I think the way he has conducted himself is inappropriate for a former CIA director,” he added. ‘

Does Sen. Johnson think that Trump has conducted himself in an appropriate manner for the POTUS? If that is the litmus test Trump has failed. Add that to his suspect relations with Putin and cozying up to dictators does Sen.Johnson believe that Trump isn’t a security risk?

Ron Johnson is one of the GOP’s biggest tools.

EVERYDAY #25077

Exactly Granny.

By the way, I think presidents, former cabinet members and the like should lose their security clearances one they leave office. If they come back, they can always reapply.

But revoking Brennan’s security clearance in this way and threatening others with revocation of their clearances just because Trump doesn’t like what they have to say about him is petty and childish. However, I suppose we should expect such behavior from a president who has the mind and maturity of an 8-year-old.

ConservativeGranny #25078

“By the way, I think presidents, former cabinet members and the like should lose their security clearances one they leave office. If they come back, they can always reapply.”

I agree.

Consistent #25095

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.