Some Democrats say they’re open to rescuing Speaker Johnson from ouster

Source: The Hill | March 22, 2024 | Regina Zilbermints

Several House Democrats on Friday said they would be willing to help rescue Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) from Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene’s (R-Ga.) motion to oust him — though some said their vote would be contingent on how he handles Ukraine aid.

Rep. Tom Suozzi (D-N.Y.) told CNN on Friday he would vote to keep Johnson as Speaker.

“It’s absurd he’s being kicked out for doing the right thing, keeping the government open. It has two-thirds support of the Congress, and the idea that he would be kicked out by these jokers is absurd,” he said.

Asked if he thought other Democrats would follow suit, Suozzi responded, “I hope so.”

Greene filed the motion to vacate the Speaker’s chair — the same mechanism that was used to remove former Speaker Kevin McCarty (R-Calif.) last fall — to protest the $1.2 trillion package to keep the government open the House passed on Friday.

Already though, there’s less enthusiasm for the possibility of removing the Speaker’s gavel. McCarthy’s ouster resulted in three weeks of chaos and a paralyzed lower chamber. Even many members of the hard-line conservative House Freedom Caucus, who are furious with Johnson for his handling of the spending bill, have brushed off the idea.

And Democrats, who voted in lockstep to oust McCarthy — and then in lockstep against every subsequent GOP Speaker nominee — appear more open to the idea of helping Johnson remain in his post.

“I do not support Speaker Johnson, but I will never stand by and let MTG to take over the people’s House,” Rep. Jared Moskowitz (D-Fla.) wrote on X, formerly Twitter.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #60247

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.