Sessions fires back at Trump over recusal: 'I did my duty and you're damn fortunate I did'

Source: The Hill | May 23, 2020 | Tal Axelrod

Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions shot back at President Trump over his decision to recuse himself from the Justice Department’s Russia investigation, offering a rare rebuke of a president he’s sought to tightly hug in his Alabama Senate campaign.

“Look, I know your anger, but recusal was required by law. I did my duty & you’re damn fortunate I did. It protected the rule of law & resulted in your exoneration. Your personal feelings don’t dictate who Alabama picks as their senator, the people of Alabama do,” Sessions tweeted late Friday night.

The rare broadside came in response to a tweet from Trump telling Alabamans to “not trust” Sessions because of his recusal. The president also touted his endorsement for former Auburn University football coach Tommy Tuberville, who is running against Sessions in the Senate race. 

………..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #39247

Consistent #39257

EVERYDAY #39259

Trump just can’t let go of his hurt over Sessions’ recusal during the Russia investigation and impeachment, even though in the end he was acquitted of wrongdoing by the senate. This is an example of being a sore winner. Trump won, but he is still bitter that Sessions wasn’t loyal to him by sweeping the Russia investigation under the carpet. Poor Donnie had to go through an investigation by an outsider (one which he frustrated at every turn).

In Trumpyland people are supposed to be loyal to the king. Forget the Constitution, forget what is good and right for the US. Trump demands loyalty to him and him alone, no matter what underhanded thing the underling is compelled to do to show that loyalty. And should that underling get caught in some kind of wrongdoing, that person has to fall on his sword for the king.

When Sessions swore an oath upon taking the AG job, he did not pledge loyalty to Trump. The oath provides a promise to uphold the Constitution and to defend the US from all enemies. It does not provide for loyalty to Trump. Loyalty to the king or dictator is what is expected in monarchies and dictatorships. Perhaps this is what Trump and his worshipers want — a dictator who demands loyalty to him and him alone over any duty to the good of the country. Am I the only one who sees what would be wrong with that scenario? I should think people would be alarmed at the possibility that Trump is setting himself up to be a dictator like his good buddy, Kim in North Korea.

But regardless of all that, while Trump has the right to endorse whichever candidate he chooses in this race, he does not have the right to interfere in the election. And that is what Trump is doing. The decision should rest with the voters of Alabama and anyone not an Alabama voter should butt out.

Consistent #39279

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.