Ready for a Second Clinton Impeachment

Source: RedState | November 3, 2016 | Dan Spencer

Sen. Ron Johnson said Monday he believes Hillary Clinton’s actions with her private email server are impeachable offenses should she be elected president. “She purposefully circumvented it (the law), this was willful concealment and destruction,” Johnson said during an interview with Wisconsin’s Beloit Daily News:

Johnson cited 18 U.S. Code 793 (f) and 18 U.S. Code 2071, which have to do with the willful destruction or removal from proper custody of information relating to national defense. Johnson honed in on the latter of the two, which reads in part that anyone found to have concealed or removed records “shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both; and shall forfeit his office and be disqualified from holding any office under the United States.”

“I’m not a lawyer, but this is clearly written,” Johnson said. “I would say yes, high crime or misdemeanor, I believe she is in violation of both laws.”

….

On Wednesday, Texas Rep. Mike McCaul chimed in and said Hillary could be impeached if she’s elected president:

“This investigation will continue whether she wins or not,” the Republican lawmaker told Fox News. “But assuming she wins and the investigation comes forward and it looks like an indictment is pending, at that point in time under the Constitution, the House of Representatives would engage in an impeachment trial. It would go to the Senate and impeachment proceedings and removal would take place.”

….

With Fox News now reporting the FBI investigation of the Clinton Foundation will, barring obstruction, will continue to an indictment, you best prepare for a second Clinton impeachment.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #11160

ConservativeGranny #11162

Maybe I’m wrong but I was under the impression that a president could only be impeached for crimes committed while in office.

Woodcutter #11183

Impeachment in the United States is an enumerated power of the legislature that allows formal charges to be brought against a civil officer of government for crimes alleged to have been committed. Most impeachments have concerned alleged crimes committed while in office, though there have been a few cases in which Congress has impeached and convicted officials partly for prior crimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_in_the_United_States

ConservativeGranny #11198

Which one was it? Only 3 presidents have been impeached. Both Nixon and Andrew Johnson were impeached for crimes committed while in office. The only one left was Bill Clinton. Was he impeached for crimes prior to him taking office or after?

ConservativeGranny #11199

My mistake. Nixon resigned before being impeached.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.