Jim Jordan becomes first to announce run for speaker

Source: Politico | October 4, 2023 | Anthony Adragna and Daniella Diaz

His candidacy will likely run right into Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.), who is also considering a speakership bid and has worked to court conservatives.

Rep. Jim Jordan said he will run to be the next speaker, a move likely to prompt praise from House conservatives.

But his candidacy will likely run right into Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.), who is also considering a speakership bid and has worked to court conservatives.

“I think I can unite the conservative base, and the party and the conference. That’s why I’m running,” Jordan told reporters Wednesday morning.

In a letter to his Republican colleagues Wednesday morning, the House Judiciary Chair and Freedom Caucus member formally requested their support for the speaker’s gavel.

“We are at a critical crossroad in our nation’s history. Now is the time for our Republican conference to come together to keep our promises to Americans. The problems we face are challenging, but they are not insurmountable. We can focus on the changes that improve the country and unite us in offering real solutions. But no matter what we do, we must do it together as a conference,” he wrote.

He did not mention McCarthy in the letter.

……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.