Former Trump aide Bannon charged with swindling donors in private border wall effort

Source: Politico | August 20, 2020 | Josh Gerstein

Prosecutors allege Bannon spent hundreds of thousands of dollars of donor funds on his personal expenses.

Steve Bannon, a former senior White House adviser to President Donald Trump, has been arrested and charged along with three other men for swindling donors who supported a private effort to build sections of wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Bannon and the other men were indicted by a federal grand jury in New York on charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and money laundering in connection with their roles in the non-profit group “We Build the Wall.”

Prosecutors allege that Bannon, 66, diverted $1 million raised by the group to another organization he controlled and spent hundreds of thousands of dollars of donor funds on his personal expenses. Also charged in the two-count conspiracy indictment: activists Brian Kolfage, Andrew Badolato and Timothy Shea.

Bannon, who was Trump’s de facto campaign manager during the latter months of the 2016 presidential race and served as chief strategist in the White House through August 2017, is expected to appear before a federal magistrate in New York later Thursday, prosecutors said.

The investigation into the border wall group with strong connections to Trump allies had been a closely-held secret, and its stunning emergence Thursday — four days before the opening of the Republican National Convention — seems likely to provoke the president, who has accused opponents of trying to create distractions around the quadrennial nominating event.

……..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #42115

Consistent #42116

Consistent #42117

Consistent #42118

ConservativeGranny #42119

Will Trump issue a preemptive pardon? I can hear him already. Fake news, witchhunt blah blah blah. Or will he go with the “I don’t know him” “I know nothing about it” and try to distance himself from the scheme. Another day another Trump-related scam. This is why he is so drawn to charlatans and snake oil salesmen. Kindred spirits.

ConservativeGranny #42120

I’m sure AG Barr didn’t know about this either. Nah, it wouldn’t have anything to do with the firing of the NY AG and wanting to put their “own guy” in his place.

Consistent #42122

Consistent #42124

Consistent #42125

EVERYDAY #42129

Expect the acting AG to be replaced as well.

Consistent #42137

Consistent #42138

Consistent #42142

Consistent #42144

Consistent #42148

EVERYDAY #42150

By the way, @Consistent — The Lincoln Project has a great ad about all the Trump associates convicted or at least accused of wrongdoing. Maybe you can add that to your collection. Those ads are awesome.

Consistent #42159

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.