Former British PM Cameron named foreign secretary in surprise shake-up

Source: The Hill | November 13, 2023 | Rachel Scully

British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak unexpectedly appointed one of his predecessors, David Cameron, as foreign minister Monday.

It follows Sunak’s move to fire interior minister Suella Braverman in a surprise Conservative shake-up.

Cameron announced his decision to accept the position on X, formerly known as Twitter, saying amid the “war in Ukraine and the crisis in the Middle East” that “it has rarely been more important for this country to stand by our allies, strengthen our partnerships and make sure our voice is heard.”

“While I have been out of front-line politics for the last seven years, I hope that my experience — as Conservative Leader for eleven years and Prime Minister for six — will assist me in helping the Prime Minister to meet these vital challenges,” he wrote.

Cameron’s appointment came as a surprise to many, as it is not common for a non-lawmaker to take a senior government post, according to The Associated Press. It has also been decades since a former prime minister held a Cabinet job.

Sunak’s decision to appoint Cameron, who served as the country’s prime minister from 2010-16, comes amid scrutiny against Braverman, who served as home secretary, which is responsible for law enforcement. Braverman had accused police of being too lenient with pro-Palestinian protesters, suggesting that they were harsher on right-wing protesters.

She was replaced by James Cleverly, who had previously held the position of foreign secretary.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.