FBI director warns of increase in domestic threats related to ME conflict

Source: Politico | October 14, 2023 | Olivia Alafriz

FBI director warns of increase in domestic threats related to Middle East conflict

The FBI does not have “specific and credible intelligence indicating a threat to the United States stemming from the Hamas attacks in Israel,” but continues to monitor events as they unfold.

FBI director Christopher Wray on Saturday said reported domestic threats have surged as conflict in Israel escalates.

Wray acknowledged the increase in threats due to the “heightened environment,” calling for increased vigilance and requesting that police continue to share intelligence and observations.

“History has been witness to antisemitic and other forms of violent extremism for far too long. Whether that be from foreign terrorist organizations, or those inspired by them, or domestic violent extremists motivated by their own racial animus, the targeting of a community because of their faith is completely unacceptable,” Wray said in his prepared remarks at the International Association of Chiefs of Police conference in San Diego.

“We remain committed to continue confronting those threats — both here in the United States and overseas,” he said.

“I want to take a moment to offer my heartfelt condolences to the people of Israel, and share the outrage I know we all feel at the sheer brutality and disregard for innocent lives there,” Wray added.

……..

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.