Biden goes after Trump in strikingly political State of the Union address

Source: The Hill | March 7, 2024 | Brett Samuels and Alex Gangitano

President Biden drew a sharp contrast with former President Trump and Republican lawmakers in Thursday’s State of the Union address, using the bully pulpit to harp on issues that will shape the general election campaign and sell voters on his first three years in office.

Biden’s remarks, which lasted just more than an hour, could at times be mistaken for a campaign address. The president did not refer to Trump by name at any point, but he said “my predecessor” 13 times throughout his speech, according to prepared remarks provided by the White House.

Just minutes into the speech, he referred to Trump’s suggestion that he would let Russian President Vladimir Putin “do whatever the hell he wants” if NATO allies had not spent enough on defense, calling those remarks “dangerous and unacceptable.”

In short order, Biden spoke about threats to democracy, the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, which drew eye rolls from Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) and threats to abortion access and reproductive health care, all of which are key pillars of his reelection bid.

“My purpose tonight is to wake up the Congress and alert the American people this is no ordinary moment,” Biden said. “Not since President Lincoln and the Civil War have freedom and democracy been under assault at home as they are today. What makes our moment rare is that freedom and democracy are under attack both at home and overseas at the very same time.”

Biden again blamed Trump for tanking a bipartisan border security bill in the Senate for political reasons and called on congressional Republicans to pass the legislation. He touted provisions in the bill, which was negotiated by senators and endorsed by the White House, with lead GOP negotiator Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.), who sat in the chamber, nodding his head and saying, “that’s true.”

Some GOP lawmakers wore pins to raise awareness for Laken Riley, a University of Georgia student who was killed last month by a Venezuelan migrant, according to police. When Biden was entering the chamber, he came across Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) who showed him her pin and told the president “say her name.” 

During his address when Biden spoke about the border, Greene yelled out from her seat in the audience: “It’s about Laken Riley.” Others shouted, “say her name.” Biden, in response, held up a Laken Riley pin he was given and said her name.

“Laken Riley, an innocent young woman who was killed by an illegal,” he said, speaking off the cuff. “To her parents I say my heart goes out to you having lost children myself. I understand,” he said looking up at the gallery in the chamber.

……..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #60067

Consistent #60068

Consistent #60071

Consistent #60072

Consistent #60073

Consistent #60074

Consistent #60075

Consistent #60076

Consistent #60077

Consistent #60078

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.