Amash indicates he won’t seek reelection to Congress

Source: Politico | July 17, 2020 | Quint Forgey

The Michigan lawmaker recently flirted with a third-party presidential run.

Rep. Justin Amash, the Libertarian Michigan congressman who abandoned the Republican Party after calling for President Donald Trump’s impeachment, appeared to confirm reports Thursday that he would not seek reelection to Congress.

“I love representing our community in Congress. I always will,” Amash wrote on Twitter. “This is my choice, but I’m still going to miss it. Thank you for your trust.”

Earlier Thursday evening, the five-term lawmaker retweeted a Detroit News story reporting that Poppy Nelson, a top Amash aide, said he had halted his reelection campaign in February. “He hasn’t been campaigning for any office and doesn’t plan to seek the nomination for any office,” Nelson told the newspaper.

Amash, a Grand Rapids native who represents Michigan’s 3rd Congressional District, came to national prominence in May 2019, when he became the first Republican member of Congress to declare that Trump had committed impeachable offenses.

………

Amash’s apparent acknowledgment that he will not seek reelection in November opens up a Republican-leaning district that both parties were prepared to contest, though Democrats would have had better odds with Amash in the race.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.