'Saturday Night Live' parodies holiday dinner conversations amid Trump impeachment inquiry

Source: The Hill | December 15, 2019 | Justin Wise

NBC’s “Saturday Night Live” parodied how family dinner conversations may take shape this holiday season as the House prepares to vote on articles of impeachment against President Trump.

The show’s “cold open” skit featured dinner gatherings in San Francisco, Charleston, S.C., and Atlanta, riffing on the differing opinions voters hold about Trump’s behavior and whether it warrants impeachment. 

Aidy Bryant, dressed as a snowman, introduced the skit by noting that Americans “seem more divided than ever,” but that if we listened to some dinner conversations, “I bet we’d find out we have more in common than we realize.”

“And now we can listen because I hacked into three Nest home cams,” she jokes, as the show transitions to a dinner gathering in San Francisco. 

“I’m so happy everyone flew here for the holidays, and I’m even more happy that they did it, they’re impeaching Trump,” Cecily Strong quips.

After the show cuts to the dinner in Charleston, Beck Bennett says from the head of the table: “Well, they did it. They’re impeaching Trump. It’s a disgrace. What crime did he even commit?” 

Heidi Gardner later adds that Trump’s crime is being “an alpha male who actually gets things done.”

In Atlanta, Keenan Thompson’s character is more concerned with a matter outside impeachment. 

“Well, I’m just asking, do y’all think ‘Bad Boys III’ is going to be good or what?” Kenan Thompson’s asks, prompting Chris Redd’s character to later ask that the family start talking about politics.

“Oh, you mean how Trump is definitely getting impeached and then definitely getting reelected? I’m good,” Thompson responds.

…….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.