Sessions out at Justice Department

Source: The Hill | November 7, 2018 | Morgan Chalfant

Attorney General Jeff Sessions has resigned as the top Justice Department official at President Trump’s request, a development that is likely to spark a firestorm of criticism following the midterm elections.

The decision punctuates months of criticism by President Trump of his top law enforcement officer over his recusal from the ongoing Russia investigation. And it confirms widespread speculation that Trump would move to fire Sessions sometime after the midterms.

Sessions agreed to resign at Trump’s request, according to a copy of his resignation letter obtained by The Hill.

“I came to work at the Department of Justice every day determined to do my duty and serve my country,” Sessions wrote. “I have done so to the best of my ability, working to support the fundamental legal processes that are the foundation of justice.”

Trump made the announcement over Twitter, thanking Sessions for his service and wishing him “well.” The president revealed that Matthew Whitaker, Sessions’s chief of staff, would take over as acting attorney general and said a permanent replacement would be nominated “at a later date.”

…….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #26305

Consistent #26307

Consistent #26308

Consistent #26312

EVERYDAY #26326

I’m no fan of Sessions, but he deserves some compensation in his severance for “hazardous duty.” From the moment he reused himself from the Russian interference investigation, Trump has hounded and harassed him publicly almost nonstop. I don’t know how Sessions kept his cool and did his job every day during an almost endless barage of insults from our mental midget president.

I wish Jeff Sessions well in whatever he does from now on. He deserves better than the abuse he has suffered from the orange tyrant.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.